Pulla is a sweet Finnish bun that resembles cinnamon buns, with the defining difference of being laden with cardamom.
Recipe makes about 16 pastries.
For the dough
- 16 grams instant yeast
- 500 milliliters whole milk, warmed to about 35°C (95°F)
- 1 kilogram all-purpose/plain flour
- 300 grams white sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 6 grams salt
- 170 grams unsalted butter, softened but not melted
For the filling
- 250 grams unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (7 ounces/200 grams) white sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons (15 grams) ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon (6 grams) freshly ground cardamom
- Additional plain flour for dusting the
- 1 large egg, beaten - for brushing before baking
- Pearl sugar, for sprinkling before baking
Making the dough
- Stir the yeast and milk together in a large bowl until the yeast is completely dissolved.
- Stir in the flour, sugar, cardamom and salt and mix until combined. Stir in the butter. Knead the dough until elastic and slightly sticky, about 15 minutes, by hand, 8 minutes with an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook. Return the dough to the bowl, cover it with a dish towel, and allow it to rise in a warm, draft-free place for 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
Making the filling
- While the dough is resting, combine the butter, white sugar, cinnamon and cardamom in a medium bowl and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Lightly dust a clean, dry work surface with flour. Turn the risen dough out and, with a floured rolling pin, roll it out into a 20-by- 16-inch (50-by-38-centimeter) rectangle about 1⁄4 inch (0.64 centimeter) thick. Spread the filling evenly over the dough, reaching all the way to the edges, then, beginning with a long side, roll the dough into a tight cylinder. Cut the cylinder into 16 triangles. Pick up the top point of the triangle and fold it toward the center. Press the point tightly into the center.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and arrange eight pulla on each sheet, spacing them about 2 inches (5 centimeters) apart. Cover them with a clean dish towel and allow them to rise in a warm, draft-free place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Position two racks in the upper third and lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 200°C. Brush the pulla with the beaten egg and sprinkle them with pearl sugar. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown and caramelized. Serve warm.